Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review/Interview By: Dana Michelle Burnett



                                                                         Blurb:Beautiful. Secretive. Magical. You envy their freedom, but you are distrustful of their ways. A strange carnival has come to Corydon, Indiana and the Irish Travellers have captured the small town's attention--but it's Harmony who's attracted theirs.
Harmony sees the Travellers everywhere and just like everyone else in town she's curious. But once she meets the mysterious and captivating Kieran, Harmony's life takes an exciting and chilling turn.
Up until now, Harmony never believed that fairytales or myths were real, but Kieran and his family belong to an ancient tribe called the Tuatha de Dannan and someone else has discovered their secret.
An ancient battle is about to begin again, and now no one is safe, especially Harmony. Can Kieran resist the urge to be with her or will his feelings put her in the crossfire?
 Author Interview - Dana Michelle Burnett, Author of Once (Gypsy Fairy Tale Book One)

Where were you born and where do you call home? I was born in New Albany, Indiana and I currently live in Lanesville, Indiana with my dancing diva daughter, two dogs, and two cats.

Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.  I super excited about the release of Once, the first book in my new Gypsy Fairy Tale series.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?  Once is the story of Harmony Jacobson.A strange carnival has come to Corydon, Indiana and the Irish Travellers have captured the small town's attention--but it's Harmony who's attracted theirs. But once she meets the mysterious Kieran, her life takes an exciting and chilling turn. 

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?  I'm currently working on the second book in the series and as it stands now there will be one other book after that. It's hard for me to focus on one series that long though, I'm already getting ideas for new characters and new stories.

What books have influenced your writing?I would have to say Gone with the Wind because I believe in strong heroines that may need the man to save them from the immediate situation, but they don't need to be rescued.  I want my characters to rescue themselves.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?  It would be a toss up between Ann Rice or Stephen King.  I am totally enthralled with Rice's work, but Stephen King.....Well, he's Stephen Freaking King!

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?  I prefer ebooks.  I tend to read quickly and it's easier to carry two or three books on a Kindle than the actual paperbacks.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?  I am a complete Amazon junkie!

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?  I am a proud Indie Author.

What book would you like to read again?  The Witching Hour by Ann Rice

Who designed the cover of your book?  I designed this cover myself.  I've designed all of my covers, but so far this is my favorite.

Do you buy a book by the cover?  I try not to, but I as guilty of it as anyone else.

Do you have a book trailer? Yes.  My book trailer for Once can be seen on YouTube or my Facebook page.

What are your thoughts on book trailers?  I love book trailers!  I don't think they really sell books, but they make great conversation starters on Facebook and they are so much fun to make!  I've made six of them now and collectively only spent about $50.  My favorite is the one for the third book in my Spiritus series, Incarnate, it really captured the feel of the entire series.

Do you have any advice for other writers?My advice would be to never give up or stop writing. I made that mistake ten years ago. I was doing really well with my writing, getting published in literary magazines left and right, and then I just stopped. Life got in the way and I just let it happen. It's one of my biggest regrets.

What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like. I was born July 7.  I so fit under the cancer zodiac sign. I'm moody, reclusive, and everything else.

Did you have a favorite toy as a child? I was a Barbie fanatic!  I'd have my dolls act out these crazy romantic stories about magical creatures....Wow, I guess my life hasn't changed all that much.

An early childhood memory - One of my earliest memories is of me begging my mother to read me Peter Pan (again) and her telling me that twice was enough and that it was bedtime.  I had horrible insomnia as a child and my mom would have to read me story after story to try and get me to go to sleep.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s? One of my guilty pleasures is writing in my PJ's in bed.

White wine or red? I prefer Barefoot Moscato (white)

Coffee or tea? Hot coffee, but iced tea.  NEVER the other way around.

So you like to cook?  Do you have a favorite food? I don't cook that often but when I do, I can make some mean Italian. My favorite food though would have to be grilled salmon.

Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream? I'm one of those odd people that actually prefer vanilla to anything chocolate.

What do you normally eat for breakfast, of do you skip it and get straight to work? I normally have to have a little over half a pot of coffee before I can have any breakfast and then it's just a doughnut (preferably maple frosted)

Sleep in or get up early?I love to sleep in, but it doesn't happen that often.  Fortunately, my version of sleeping in is getting up at seven, while my daughter's version is eleven.

Laptop or desktop for writing? I actually write everything out in spiral notebooks first and then it goes into my laptop.


Your favorite gadget - My kindle is a lifesaver, but a close second would have to be my Dragon software since I write everything out longhand first.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing? I tend to write all day until I pick my daughter up from school. After that, I'm shuffling her back and forth to dance class and running errands so unless she doesn't have class, I don't get to do much writing in the evenings. I prefer to write in the living room, kitchen, or in bed.  Actually anywhere other than tucked away in my office.


Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad - I love getting any sort of review, but I am a bit of a drama queen if it's a bad review.  I tend to read it over and over.  I'm not above calling up people I know and asking them "Is my writing really this bad?".  Then a good review will come in and there I am, stopping people on the street and reading it to them.  I try to find some sort of constructive criticism in all of them, but there are times that it's hard to do that and I have the typical fragile writer's ego.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you? If I could pick dead people it would be Eva Peron (that woman had spunk), Vivian Leigh (she made insanity beautiful), and John Lennon (one of the most interesting people that ever lived). If it had to be living people, it would be Anne Rice (amazing author), Lady Gaga (the exact opposite of boring), and Charlie Sheen (because eventually I would want to have some fun).

Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday?I've always wanted to visit England. It would be so great to go see a West End show and visit the tower of London.



List 3 of your favorite movies? Interview With The Vampire, any Harry Potter, and That Hamilton Woman.  I know, quite the odd little collection.

An actor or a book character you have a crush on -To this day I am still completely in love with Michael Praed.  I first saw him in the Robin of Sherwood series, then in The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne, and then recently I caught a video of him in Beautiful and the Damned / Zelda. He's the reason I love dark haired men....Now silver is looking damn good.  I'm always crushing on Johnny Depp too, but who isn't?

What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed? Since I'm a single mom with no life, my only date is my daughter and she hates going to movie theaters (it's a volume thing). So I always have to wait until things come out on video.  I just watched Les Miserables on video and LOVED it!  Of course, I'm also completely addicted to Gypsy Sisters and My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

Where can your readers stalk you?

Other:
Is your book in Print, ebook or both? Both and soon in audio book as well.





My Review:

Once I started this book I could not put it down I had to know what happen next. Harmony is an Adult who watch's over her grandma and her grandma's store. Her Grandma is sick, her last words to Harmony was Your a good Girl. Now Harmony has her grandmas store to run by herself will not completely she has works who work there too. Harmony has a hard time about her Grandma's death but she doesn't let other people see it that she is having a hard time she keeps it all in. The Circus comes to town, and she meets one of the travellers name Kieran, and soon Harmony learns a lot more about him and the others, and she falls in love with him. Harmony knows she has to move on because they will be leaving soon. Kieran ask's Harmony to come with him but she tells him no because her life is here, running her Grandmas store. Kieran has to leave he doesn't won't but he has too, and he leaves a note to Harmony. I could go on about this awesome book, But I don't won't to ruin it for you all!! I hope there is going to be a book 2!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment